Friday, November 8, 2013

a love letter to my girls.

I have two little girls.

They are the lights of my life. One is my heart, the other is my soul.

This is my promise. To them. A promise to myself, but really - a promise to them.


I promise to always tell you nine million times a day that I love you. I promise to kiss you over and over. I promise to hug you when we're happy, hug you when we're sad, and hug-it-out when we're mad. I promise to sweep the hair out of your eyes. I promise to whisper sweet things in your ear when we're snuggling. I promise to read to you all the time. I promise to help you brush your teeth every morning and every night, and hold us to that darn timer from the dentist that seems to last forever. I promise to do projects with you, like baking cupcakes or bread, or making holiday cards with lots and lots of glitter and stickers. I promise to let you sit in my lap anytime you want. I promise to make forts with you. I promise to help you learn from your mistakes. I promise to take you for walks all the time, so we can look for puppies, feel the breeze, and count the airplanes. I promise to dance with you, especially to our favorite songs. I promise to listen to Aladdin and Jasmine sing "A Whole New World" over and over again in the car. I promise to take a million pictures of you for memory's sake, but respect when you say you've had enough of the camera. I promise to get excited over little things with you. I promise to let you use my "lip gloss" (really, it's chapstick) anytime you want. I promise to sing with you.

I promise to give you space when you need it. I promise to not hover and micromanage you. I promise to trust you. I promise to believe in you. I promise to forgive you. I promise to not judge you. I promise to tell you how proud I am of you, all the time. I promise to notice, appreciate, and treasure the little things. I promise to be patient with you. I promise to be calm. I promise to be positive. I promise to set a good example, especially when I am frustrated with someone or a situation. I promise to not be crabby under my breath. I promise to exude love, forgiveness, gratitude, compassion, and honesty. I promise to teach you how to love yourself. I promise to praise your efforts more than your achievements. I promise to help you believe in yourself. I promise to give you space to be the person you want to be, and respect when you make decisions that differ from my point-of-view or opinion.

I promise to love you. Always. No matter what. Because you are the lights of my life, my heart and soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment