Saturday, October 19, 2013

we heart police officers

My oldest daughter, Bear, currently has an infatuation with police officers, police cars, and fire trucks. As in, we are constantly on the lookout for these guys and gals, as we drive to and from work each day. We commute on an interstate for about ten miles, so lucky us: we see a couple state troopers every day, if we’re lucky. While I am holding my breath that the state trooper won’t pull me over AGAIN for driving in the carpool lane, because they can’t see my little ones in the backseat and think that I am trying to pull a fast one on them, my little Bear is craning her neck, calling out, “I see one! I see a police car! What is he doing?” Seizing a “teaching moment,” I reply, “He’s being a helper. He’s telling that car to slow down and be safe.” Satisfied with my answer, Bear then repeats my explanation to me, as if I have forgotten, every.single.time. we see a police car or state trooper. Over and over! What is it with two-year-olds and their need for repetition?

Well…our love of law enforcement has actually led us to the local police station THREE DAYS IN A ROW now. After work, I go to my parents’ house, nurse Lambie, change her diaper, bargain with Bear about putting on her shoes, and then make a grand exit. A few days ago, I made the mistake of telling Bear “I know where we can find police officers, for sure!” since we were having trouble spotting any that day. I found myself driving over to the local police station…only to pull into the parking lot, put the car in park, and then literally just sit there. Creeping around at the police station. In a mini van. That would be me. We counted the police cars. We got really excited yesterday because the fire truck (in the adjoining fire station) was not parked (hidden) in the garage, but rather it was in plain view in the parking lot. For three days now, we have just waited for a police officer to say hello. We haven’t seen one yet. I am sure, however, they have me on their parking lot cameras, and have my license plate recorded as “that creeper woman who arrives every day at 5:07 and stays for a few minutes.” I swear, if we were to see an actual officer, I would jump out of the car, introduce myself, and ask him/her to come say hi to Bear. I really would.

Let’s just hope this happens soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment